The specially trained staff of the Bonnyville Victims Services can help you cope with the many stresses that can crush the spirit of the strongest among us. We can provide expert guidance and proven strategies to help you manage the weight of your problems by offering new perspectives.
Here are some ways that you can help yourself control the stress before the stress controls you. Of course, not all solutions will fit your specific challenge but at least one of these should
- Confide in a trusted friend or trained professional. Talking over your problems can lead to new ways of looking at old issues.
- Volunteer in your community. Looking outward helps to change your focus.
- Take up a hobby. While concentrating on something besides your many stressors will provide a 'mental holiday' and possibly provide a different perspective to your problems.
- Avoid excessive self-criticism. No one is perfect and you need to accept that about yourself.
- Be your own best friend. Your friends would not be insulting or indulge in name calling, so why do it to yourself?
- Get physical. Going for a walk, doing vigorous jumping jacks or even just punching a pillow, physicality can help burn off frustration in a positive, harmless manner.
- Tackle one issue at a time. Avoid being overwhelmed by your problems by dividing up your problems into bite-sized pieces instead of trying to deal with them all at once. Understand that baby-steps might be required before mighty leaps can be made.
- Force yourself to smile or to sing. Sometimes just acting happy can lead to a relaxing of tension and actually feeling genuinely happier.
- Engage in cooperative pursuits rather than competitive ones. Cooperating with friends provides a feeling of much-needed emotional support.
Try and see the good in others as much as possible. We can all find fault easily enough in our social circles but focussing on a person's good qualities will increase the positivity in yourself and your relationships.
Plan fun time every day. It will not just happen spontaneously.
Learn relaxation strategies through online courses or yoga classes. We can control the effects of tension on our bodies more than you might think.